Chichester is a wonderful cathedral city which is located in West Sussex. You will struggle to find another place in the UK that boasts such an amount of history, intrigue, culture and beauty. If you take a vacation to the city then you will have the opportunity to stay in one of the traditional cottages. They are filled with character and provide the perfect setting for your holiday. You can then explore all the city has to offer whilst also taking the time to soak in the enchanting countryside as well. It is sheer bliss.
Religion and history blend magically in Chichester. In fact the city is home to some of the oldest buildings, namely churches, in the whole of the country. The 12th-century cathedral is the main attraction for most. It was founded in 1075 and boasts some of the finest architecture you will lay your eyes upon. It offers a beautiful blend of Gothic and Norman styles. Standout features include the double aisles and the freestanding medieval bell tower. Inside the cathedral, you will also get to marvel over a wealth of modern art. This encompasses everything from sculptures to tapestries to stained glass. You simply cannot visit the city without experiencing it with your own eyes.
Nonetheless, this is not all the town has to offer. One of the reasons why it is so well liked is because it is somewhere with so much to offer. The area itself boasts a fantastic ambience and a jovial vibe. It is home to some of the oldest buildings in the entire country. It boasts beautiful countryside and there is a wealth of delicious local restaurants. And that is without even mentioning the exciting and fascinating tourist attractions. What’s not to like? When you take all of this into account it is not hard to see why so many families are drawn towards Chichester. Bearing this in mind, let’s take a look at some of the top tourist attractions in the city for families in particular…
• Chichester Festival Theatre – If you are planning on visiting Chichester during the festival period then Chichester Festival Theatre is a must visit. You will have your pick of a wealth of fantastic productions. Make sure you keep an eye out on the website so you can see the different events that are announced.
• Tangmere Military Aviation Museum – This museum is impressive to say the very least. It is home to an array of fantastic aviation memorabilia and historic aircraft, making it a popular attraction for school trips and family holidays. You will get to feast your eyes on unique delights dating back to the very First World War all the way through until the Cold War. What makes the museum even better, and more suitable for children, is the fact that there is a great selection of interactive displays and several aircraft simulators for you to enjoy. This really enhances the overall experience of the day.
• Chichester Canal – Chichester canal provides an extremely relaxing and tranquil location. Why not take a picnic for you and the family to enjoy? You can find a nice spot by the canal and enjoy tucking into the sandwiches and other snacks you have packed. You and your partner will love the opportunity to relax whilst your children will definitely enjoy playing on the grass. It’s definitely a must-visit here!
• Goodwood Motor Circuit – Who doesn’t enjoy vintage cars? If you have any little boys they will undoubtedly love a trip to the Goodwood Motor Circuit. Furthermore, you can’t visit Chichester without ticking this historic venue of your list, can you? There are lots of great events held here. If you are lucky enough you may end up in Chichester when the Goodwood Festival of Speed is one or the Goodwood Revival Festival. The former is typically held in late June or early July, whilst the Goodwood Revival Festival takes place during September.
• Kingley Vale – Last but not least we have the phenomenal Kingley Vale. This is a simply stunning and unique reserve. It plays host to some of the most stunning trees. You should also make sure you look out for the beautiful butterflies, the green woodpeckers, the buzzards and the red kites. If you are a lover of nature you will definitely love Kingley Vale and your children are assured to feel like they are in paradise exploring all of the twisted and ancient yews.